There is still a lot of confusion out there about the difference between web designers and web developers. It’s easy to get the two mixed up, but the two different experts focus their knowledge on two extremely different areas. Today we’ll be helping you understand the distinction between the two and which you need for a custom software project or ecommerce web design.
Considering Your Specific Needs
One easy way to decide whether you need a web designer or a web developer is by considering what your project needs are. Consider whether you need one of the following:
- You want to start a completely new website from the ground up that can be built on down the line.
- You already have a website created, but you want to make it look and function better for your visitors.
- You want a little bit of both of the other options; perhaps you want to modify an existing site to look better and to operate better behind the scenes.
Have your answer? It’s going to be much easier to determine what kind of expert you need for your ecommerce web design or another project.
What a Web Designer is Capable Of
In the most basic terms, a web designer is a person who makes your website look great when someone visits it. They use software such as Photoshop to customize the visuals on the website. This person will also use CSS (cascading style sheets) and HTML to create the designs that they come up with.
What a Web Developer Can Do for You
Which Type of Professional You Should Choose for Your Custom Software
Now that you have a better idea of the differences between a web developer and a web designer, you can more easily choose the right one for your needs. However, we can also offer some insight on which professional is the best choice for common projects:
- Building a new contact form – Web Developer
- Conceptualizing new branding for a website – Web Designer
- Creating a mobile application – Web Developer
- Designing a new layout for the homepage – Web Designer
- Editing videos and photos – Web Designer
- Fixing hosting and server issues – Web Developer
The Third Choice
There are also individuals who are capable of both web design and development who can handle all the things listed above, along with dozens more. That means you can get your custom software for an app as well as that new ecommerce web design through one company.
Deventor offers exactly that and can handle projects of all sizes and complexity levels. If you are ready to get your project off the ground, we’re ready to step in and help you.